< >

Saturday, March 11, 2006

MOVIE: Kill Bill I & II

Last month, we watched both Kill Bill 1 and Kill Bill 2, starring Uma Thurman as THE BRIDE in one of her best performances ever, along with Lucy Liu (my fave from Ally McBeal & Charlie's Angels), Daryl Hannah (a creepy role, far from the inquisitive mermaid) & David Carradine (an icon from the TV series Kung Fu and the ULTIMATE bad guy) ... just to name a few.

Kill Bill is considered by many, the best of all Quentin Tarantino films. My first film from him was Pulp Fiction & I absolutely loathed it (I anticipate a lots of comments to challenge this viewpoint). I hated the senseless violence, with weak dialogue consisting of language that would shock a trucker (and for those who know me know that I can handle ANY language). I have since learned that Taranatino films are a kind of cult, with a major following. Beyond the violence are some colourful characters, presented in an artistic perspective.

Despite the extreme violence & excessive gore, that made me say "ouch & yuck" out loud numerous time, I genuinely enjoyed both volume I & II. Quentin's signature story-telling style, beginning with the end & switching to flashbacks to develop the story and characters, kept me totally engrossed throughout both movies. I want to make it clear that these films are definitely not suitable for young viewers or those who are severely "allergic" to violence (or incapable of looking beyond the violence).

The key characters in this film are part of a group of top female assassins called the "Deadly Viper Assassination Squad". They have been trained to kill indiscriminately - without any conscience. We follow "The Bride" on her quest for revenge against "The Viper Assassination Squad" who attempted to eliminate her on her wedding day, five years earlier - at Bill's demand. Bill is the leader of "The Squad" & why he wanted her dead is revealed ONLY at the end of the second movie. Early in the movie, we are introduced to a list of (soon to be) victim's names whom are all just plain wicked, vile and loathsome, making it somewhat rewarding to watch their inevitable fate. The conquest of vengeance in the first movie, leaves MANY unanswered questions, making it impossible NOT to watch the second movie.

I will give him credit for his creative filming style which is absolutely amazing, with the use of animation, black & white sequences, unique filming angles and a truly remarkable soundtrack. His most famous trademark of all - the incredible selection of sounds & songs that are perfectly matched to every scene, character, event and setting. These films have opened my eyes to the world of cinematography!

Although, I previously swore I would never again watch a Tarantino film, I now find myself intrigued about the rest of his films & might just watch Pulp Fiction again to see if I might feel differently the second time around. I have a new-found respect for his creative vision & cinematography style. Perhaps I am just growing up & becoming more open-minded with experience. :) What did you think about the Kill Bill movies?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home